Sunday, April 18, 2010

What I'll Miss


Things I’ll Miss About New York

  • Art
  • Friends
  • The Brooklyn Bridge
  • Brooklyn in General
  • Fascatti Pizza – Henry St.
  • Henry Street Ale House
  • Waking up with anxiety only because I couldn’t choose what amazing thing I would do or see in the city
  • Brooklyn Heights
  • The feeling of satisfaction I felt consistently when I arrived where I wanted to go with out looking at a map
  • Being lost
  • The Village: every single stinky inch of it
  • Wine in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday with no judgment
  • That musical note the subway makes when it leave it’s stop
  • The Mariachi Band, break dancers, du-op singers in the subway
  • Broadway
  • Random street art like the girl in a cage in Little Italy
  • Brunch
  • Halal – pretty sure I don’t know what it is, but I’ll miss it anyway
  • The walk between Canal St. & Little Italy: one minute you they’re pushing fake purses on you the next Cannoli
  • The Highline
  • Cheese everywhere
  • Walking everywhere
  • The festival of San Gennaro: It’s like an urban Puyallup Fair
  • Complete and meaningless street fairs and random parades
  • The Carrot Peeler: RIP
  • Always feeling inspired
  • Central Park
  • Tini little parks that seem to just be there because New York City knows how to use space
  • The Guggenheim
  • Intellectual conversations with cab drivers who fought through horrible conditions in their country to get to the US
  • $5 mojito’s made at your blanket in Central Park
  • The Chelsea Galleries
  • Stormy – the old woman who has lived in the Chelsea Hotel forever and still thinks she’s a security guard
  • The Spotted Pig
  • The changing of the seasons – colors of the trees in Autumn, Flowers in Spring, Snow in Winter – heat in Summer
  • The skyline
  • Running over the Brooklyn Bridge whenever I wanted dodging tourists and being annoyed by them, then remembering I’m freaking running across the Brooklyn Bridge!!
  • Restaurants where you have to bring in your own beer/wine
  • Farting out loud whenever you want because you can’t hear a thing on Manhattan streets (not that I ever did that)
  • Walking across the street against a light because you can
  • Housing Works – where I bought a lot of clothes
  • The Brooklyn Promenade
  • Little kids who seem to own the city and the subways after school
  • Diversity
  • Listening to 7 different languages on the train (I like to count them)
  • Central Park before or after 9 when the dogs are free to play
  • Random sightings of famous people: my favorite Paul McCartney in the subway tunnel
  • Fashion
  • Cabs

Things I won’t Miss About New York

  • Cabs
  • Fashion
  • $7 bottles of Amstel Light
  • Getting run over by bikes while running in Central Park
  • The tunnels of garbage
  • Always feeling inadequate
  • All that waste
  • Sore feet
  • The impossibility of buying all the groceries you need and want and being able to carry them home
  • The unpredictable weather
  • Cabs
  • Rats
  • Knowing that there is a whole world going on in the city that I’m not invited to and even if I was invited would not have anything to wear to “it”
  • Overpriced everything
  • Cabs
  • Times Square
  • Playing bumper cars in the grocery store no matter where you are
  • Being late no mater how hard I tried

2 comments:

rjamesd said...

umph. Fascatti Pizza. I need to lay down.

linda said...

Just came across your blog. I am from Out West and have lived in a few major cities. I left New York last year after three years there, and I really like these lists. I sometimes feel like the only person in the world who won't unequivocally state that New York is the best! city! ever! but I also feel perfectly content to both appreciate it and refuse to ever again pay $7 for a bottle of beer. Or not for a few years, anyway...